- ATA certified translator in business since 2006
- MS in Integrated Marketing Communications
- BA in Journalism
- Certificate in German-English Translation
- Experience in PR, content marketing & journalism
- Cross-cultural upbringing and expertise
- Certified SEO specialist
I first came to the United States as a foreign exchange student from Germany many years ago as part of a distinguished scholarship program sponsored by the German Bundestag and US Congress. Being a foreigner in the US, I experienced first hand that effective communication requires more than language skills.
I studied journalism at the University of Nebraska at Omaha and went on to earn a master’s degree in integrated marketing communication from West Virginia University. Before starting my translation business, I spent several years as a writer for both English and German news publications, including one of the largest newspapers in the United States, the Omaha World-Herald.
My work experience as a journalist allowed me to gain insight into a variety of fields and granted me exposure to diverse subjects and people. This background provides an excellent foundation for translating marketing materials on a wide range of topics.
In 2006, I decided to pursue my passion for languages and culture on a professional level and started my own freelance translation business, Integrated MarCom Translations. I completed a certificate in German to English translation from New York University and have since helped numerous clients produce native-sounding, professional translations that are cohesive with their marketing strategies. In 2018, I passed the certification exam by the American Translators Association for English to German translation.
My varied professional path has shaped who I am today: A bilingual and bicultural writer who knows the importance of knowing your target audience and can help you speak to them in a way to which they can relate.
- BP20 Conference, Nuremberg, Germany (virtual), April 2020
- International BDÜ Conference, Bonn, Germany, November 2019
- Annual Conference of the American Translators Association, Palm Springs, California, October 2019
- Social Media Marketing World 2019, San Diego, California, March 2019
- Annual Conference of the American Translators Association, New Orleans, Louisiana, November 2018
- Annual Conference of the Colorado Translators Association, Boulder, Colorado, May 2017
- Annual Conference of the American Translators Association, San Francisco, California, November 2016
- “Translating Corporate Communications,” eCPD webinar, June 2016
- Annual Conference of the Colorado Translators Association, Boulder, Colorado, April 2016
- “Successful Copywriting,” eCPD webinar, March 2016
- Annual Conference of the American Translators Association, Miami, Florida, November 2015
- “Captivate, Capture and Convert: 5 Keys to Creating Engaging Content,” American Marketing Association webinar, November 2015
- “Throwing Spaghetti on the Wall,” seminar on creative branding strategy, American Advertising Federation, October 2015
- “How to make Google love your global content,” American Marketing Association webinar, October 2015
- REV UP 360, Annual Marketing Conference of the Colorado American Marketing Association, February 2015
- Annual Conference of the American Translators Association, Chicago, Illinois, November 2014
- “Writing Techniques for Marketing Translation and Transcreation,” Alexandria Project webinar, November 2014
- “Captivate, Capture, Convert: 5 Keys to Creating Engaging Content,” American Marketing Association webinar, November 2014
- Expert Level Bootcamp for Translators by Marta Stelmaszak, September 2014
- Annual Conference of the Colorado Translators Association, May 2014
- “The Language of Legal Correspondence,” Proz.com webinar, May 2013
- “The Language of Contracts,” Proz.com webinar, May 2013
- “Legal Terminology: Privacy and Confidential Information Terminology,” Proz.com webinar, February 2013
- SDL Trados Training and Certification, January 2013 (view my certificate here )
- Annual Conference of the American Translators Association, 2016: “German Immersion Strategies for Expatriates and other Deutsch-Fans”
- International BDÜ Conference, 2019: “SEO-Übersetzungen: Lukrative Nische mit Zukunftspotenzial”
- BP20 Conference, 2020: “SEO Translation: A New Niche for Translators”
- The following article first appeared on my blog and was later published in the membership magazine of the American Translators Association, the ATA Chronicle (July 2015): Are your applications getting lost in the sea of competition? Maybe your references are to blame
- Prior to my translation career, I was a news reporter for several years. I worked as a staff reporter covering business, public safety/courts, community issues, local government and general assignments for the Omaha World-Herald, and later as a freelance writer for various English and German news publications and magazines. Here, you will find some of my writing samples.